Friday, November 23, 2012

...a simple meal

Barley Risotto Style
On this mild November day in Rome, here I am sipping my tea and gladly receiving the sun as it shines through the window in all its warmth.  While organizing my thoughts I'm distracted by the sight of a jar of barley on the counter and fooled by its appearance similar to that of rice, I'm suddenly inspired.


Today's lunch:  Barley Risotto Style.

Ingredients for 4 people:

300 gr barley
1,5 litres milk
60 gr butter
2 leeks
salt and pepper

Wash the barley thoroughly until water is clear.  Place in a pot with milk, 30 gr of butter and salt.  Bring to a boil and lower the heat. Cook for 20-25 minutes and stir constantly using a wooden spoon.

Wash the leeks and chop the tender portion in round slices.  In a pan, sauté the leeks with the remaining butter, season with salt.  

Finish with a dash of freshly ground pepper.

Now...is that EZy or not?!

No comments:

Post a Comment