Saturday, November 17, 2012

...all time favorites

Cinnamon Rolls, I love you.
cinnamon rolls
Cinnamon rolls are my all time favorite and ever since I've been living in Rome I've hounded down every corner in search for the magnificent.  It's impossible to even get close to one! Not that I can't be easily tempted by something else, I mean...I'm in Italy, bakeries here have just about everything drool inviting but I'm an obsessed cinnamon roll fanatic and when my stomach calls for one I just have to have it!

So I learned how to bake my own and after several readings and testing I finally framed the recipe that suits my picky palate. The perfect combination of ingredients and spicy cinnamon flavor makes this a royal pastry.  Its preparation requires patience, as some rising time is required but the effort is worthwhile and a thumbs up is guaranteed.

Ingredients

Dough:
1 cup milk
3 tbsp butter
3 1/2 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp of salt
1 pkg. active dry yeast
1 egg

Filling:
1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3 tsp cinnamon

In a small saucepan heat milk until lukewarm.  In a large bowl, blend the warm liquid, 1 cup of flour, sugar, butter, salt, yeast and egg.  Beat 2 minutes at medium speed.  By hand, stir in the remaining flour to form a soft dough.  On well floured surface, knead until smooth and elastic.  Place dough in a greased bowl.  Cover, let rise in a warm place until light and doubled in size, circa 2 hours.
  
Punch down dough.  On a floured surface, roll dough to 18 x 15 inch rectangle.  Brush dough with melted butter. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over dough.

Starting with 18 inch side, roll dough up toward opposite side.  Pinch edges to seal.  Cut into 15 slices.  Place in prepared pan.  Cover, let rise until light and doubled in size circa 1 hours.

Tip:  If you want the dough to rise faster, place in a previously heated oven at a very low temperature 25-30°C. 
      
Heat oven at 180°C and bake for 20-25 minutes.  Immediately remove from pan and serve warm. Glaze as you prefer, I used a tbsp of melted honey.
  
Hey! Don't just crave them, make them!

cinnamon rolls

4 comments:

  1. Finally! Now I know the secret for these scrumptiously delicious rolls :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will try this....sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! first thing in the morning and I see this:) start of a sweet morning. They look delish. Am following you now

    Visit/Follow me at http://goodeatstostyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes us both following each other! Have a sweet day.

      Delete