Sunday, January 13, 2013

Blueberry


Scones
Blueberry Scones
You can find so many recipes on scones out there, of all types, shapes and flavours.  This one is an extra that will pile up on others but with one difference.  I’m for fresh at all times, seasonal fresh and if possible, straight from the garden.  If I don’t have the ingredient that makes the difference, I bookmark the recipe and save it for when I do.  Blueberries are one of those. 
They grow in the summer, I’m definitely out of season and I don’t have them in my garden when the season comes (but I do have a secret place where I pick them,  I drive 2 hours from home just for this, but I’ll tell you that story in August).  First option would be to buy them frozen or use a jam, but would it make the difference?  Scones are good as they are, period.  Why be so fussy about the blueberries?  Just use the frozen ones, right?  Wrong!  Dried blueberries.  YES! I find they are far better than fresh for this recipe.  Scones tend to be buttery and not too sweet in flavour,  sweetness would be given by the fruit that you use.  In this case, dried blueberries would be those - through little bits of concentrated, sweet nectar explosions in your mouth - that make the difference.  One dried blueberry equals to four fresh ripe blueberries, distinguished in flavour but not predominating in taste.  The scone rules, but the dried blues gives it "that" boost, with a right dose of sweet presence ... just enough to tingle your taste buds.  


Ingredients

190 gr flour
50 gr brown sugar
8 gr baking powder
a pinch of salt
80 gr cold butter
60 ml plain white yogurt
1 egg


Shift and mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.  Cut cold butter in small pieces and quickly rub with flour using your fingertips. Roughly blend in egg and yogurt, do not overblend, dough simply needs to come together - make it a rough not smooth mixture.

Flatten dough with your hands and use a round cookie cutter to shape your scones or cut in wedges.  Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C  for approx. 20 minutes or until golden brown (depends on how big you make your scones). 

Now, sit down, relax and enjoy with a cup of tea! 

No comments:

Post a Comment