Friday, February 15, 2013

Pan Brioche



Breakfast & Pan Brioche
Pan brioche











































There are many things I enjoy to do in my kitchen and there are many others I just don’t like at all.  I don’t like cleaning up after my wild experiments, especially if there was a lot of chopping, shredding, cutting, whisking, blending, breaking involved. I don’t like to mop the floor, wash the dishes and even if I have a super duper dishwasher, I still don’t like filling it up (and emptying it out).Thank goodness I don’t have to clean the fridge because I wouldn’t like that either, I’m very good in consuming everything in it, which I believe has more to do with having a good appetite rather than not wasting or being well organized. 
As you can tell, the “do not likes” are all reduced to the “cleaning ups”.  Whereas, I do love to cook and I just can’t resist not doing my wild experiments, I can’t help daydreaming in front of my collection of cookbooks which, by the way, I love.  I love to peek in my oven while my baking is slowly going and I can’t wait to see how it turns out.  I love selecting my plates, cutlery, glasses, tablecloths as appropriate, not to mention how much I love to buy them. I can’t walk by my big glass container without filling it up with cookies…which I rigorously love to make myself.  I fall into deep ecstasy when I’m looking beyond the big window just above my kitchen counter, it’s the best spot of the house and when I'm sipping my tea while the sun shines through, it’s even better (actually it's not too bad even when it rains).  It all wraps up in an intense emotion compelling feeling alias kitchen passionate alias moi.
There’s one thing I love most.  Kneading.  The flour in my hands, knuckles that press, fingers that pinch, rolling and folding, again and again, the silky smoothness of dough.  Pastry dough, pasta dough, bread dough & more.  My favorite? Bread dough. It’s so rewarding as you watch it slowly grow, rise and shape proudly into a loaf.  How about adding some sweeter ingredients and have it become a pan brioche?  

What a awe-inspiring way to start off the day with:  pan brioche, cappuccino, family and a great big smile.  This is Valentines for me, 360 degrees of pure love.  

Sometimes I think I'm just too simple!
Pan brioche
Pan brioche
Dissolve yeast in water.  In a bowl, thoroughly mix eggs, honey, dissolved yeast and melted butter. Shift flour and salt and add in wet mixture.  *Knead your dough until it is smooth.*  Cover with a plastic wrap and let it rise for 2 hours.  Place it in the fridge for at least 24 hours.  Remove from the fridge and let it rise 1 hour, knead and make 8 small round buns, cover and let it rise again for 1 hour.  Mix an egg (extra from the ingredients above) and some milk and lightly brush on top of the buns just before you place them in the oven at 180ÂșC for 15 minutes (or until light golden brown).

*Update 04/09/2013 - you will find that the dough is sticky, if necessary add some extra flour but not too much, the dough needs to be sticky.  If you find the dough is still too sticky to work with, wipe your hand with some oil, this will avoid the dough to still to your hands.  Do not knead your dough too much, if necessary use a spoon or mixer. 

Pan brioche

1 comment:

  1. Delicious looking brioches! A great breakfast treat.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete