Monday, February 18, 2013

Stir-Fry

Peanut Beef & Baby Spinach Stir-Fry
Peanut Beef and Baby Spinach Stir-Fry1
I found this recipe while flipping through a food magazine.  My eyes were captured by the picture which stood out in each and every way.  The colours of the vegetables, the few ingredients, the food assembled beautifully on a simple white plate, I was staring at a Picasso masterpiece.  The first sentence of the article stated exactly what I was thinking that minute “We all know how tough it can be to find inspiration for everyday meals...", this is so true.  It’s not that you don’t know what to cook, it’s that you want to make something different without hanging around pots and pans for a long time.  You get home late from work and your just tired and lazy.  I wanted something different and fast.


Everything was in that picture, a complete meal and a fun game of flavors and textures, inspiring and tempting enough to give it a try.  The ingredients weren’t all handy but I found some good alternatives.  First, I didn’t have the broccolini but the normal broccoli, no coconut milk but yogurt, the fresh basil was missing, I did have some baby spinach.  It wasn’t going to give the same typical basil aroma but it wasn’t going to contrast with the other ingredients either.  Since this recipe has an oriental verve, the  peanuts, stir-fry, wok and all, I thought I’d throw in an extra something, keeping a line of fresh, crunchy and sweet, I added some spring onions.  

My husband and son had a smirk of disapproval when they saw this coming (they can be soooo traditional, they'd eat lasagna everyday).  They see it as one of my experiments, I see it as a saving them from the depths of boredom and monotony.  I have to admit I really had fun making this! Especially when I saw the smirks enjoy their meal. 

Adapted from Donna Hay’s magazine issue 65, here’s to you my friend, an EZy turn around, hot, steamy and ready on the table in just 20 minutes.
Peanut Beef and Baby Spinach Stir-Fry
Peanut Beef and Baby Spinach Stir-Fry3


No comments:

Post a Comment