Monday, April 15, 2013

Just another bagel


Bagels














































I was holding back from posting another bread recipe, then I made these bagels last weekend and I couldn't resist.  Yes, I know, I'm a bread person - crunchy out and soft inside :-)

The two most prominent bagel styles in North America are the Montreal-style bagel and the New York-style bagel.  The Montreal bagel contains malt and sugar with no salt.  It is boiled in honey-sweetened water before baking in a wood-fired oven and it is predominately either of the poppy "black" or sesame "white" seeds variety.  The New York bagel contains salt and malt and is boiled in water prior to baking in a standard oven.  The resulting New York bagel is puffy with a moist crust, while the Montreal bagel is smaller (though with a larger hole), crunchier and sweeter (thank you Wikipedia).
Then, you have EZy's-style bagel.  I make them small and I don't use honey or malt.  I follow a basic bread recipe;  I prepare the dough the night before and leave it in the fridge overnight to slowly rise.  The next morning, I shape them, boil them and place them in the oven.  The funny thing is that no matter how many times I make them, they always come out slightly different, never exactly the same in texture.  Why?  I don't know.  The ingredients are the same, the procedure too, I guess it's because they are not from Montreal or New York but they are only from me.  Here's the recipe, I hope you enjoy making them as much as I do.  I'm sure you'll definitely enjoy eating them!


 Bagels*
Bagel Recipe
makes 16 small-size or 8 medium-size bagels

Ingredients

2 tsp active dry yeast
500g strong gluten flour (plus extra for kneading)
1/2  tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cups warm water

Topping: poppy seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds (your preference)

Dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water.  Add flour and salt.  Mix and transfer dough on floured surface and knead for approx. 10 minutes, until smooth and elastic.  Place the dough in a big bowl, brush with oil and cover with a plastic wrap.  Leave it to rise for 1 hour and them transfer in the fridge for overnight slow rising.  Remove from the fridge the next morning and divide the dough in 8 round pieces (use a scale to make equal sizes).  Press your finger in the middle of each ball to make a hole and form a ring.  Enlarge the hole with a circular movement by pulling and stretching the dough with your fingers.  Place each piece on a floured surface, cover with a damp cloth and leave to rest and rise for 30 minutes.

Bring a large pot of water to a boil, reduce the heat and place 3 bagels at a time.  As soon as the bagels float, let them stand for 1 minute and then flip them over for another minute.  Gently brush each bagel with some egg wash (whisked egg + water) and sprinkle with sesame, poppy seeds (your preference of seeds).  Bake in a preheated oven 200°C for 20/30 minutes or until golden brown. 

6 comments:

  1. You missed to knock on my door when you prepared these ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My intent is to have you read the blog, write down the recipe, make them and invite me over so I can test them personally. A from me to you type of thing :-P

      Delete
  2. i've nominated you for the Liebster Award! One impression a day.
    http://c0711.blogspot.de/2013/04/liebster-award-ive-got-nominated.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christine. That was very kind of you :-)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful bagels! I wish I could grab one and turn it into a sandwich...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ciao Rosa...that's going to be "Bagels Part II" (soon).

      EZy

      Delete