Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Aperitivo in Venice

CHIPS & SPRITZ ...IN VENICE
Although Venice is close enough to Rome to just grab a train and go, it took me forever to make this decision and I'm still asking myself why.  You can't even imagine how much I've been longing for a trip to Venice and now I finally went! With a map in one hand and a list of things to see-do in the other, I managed to get lost...and this is how I enjoyed Venice to the hilt! Lost in a maze of emotions by just wandering around in calli, campi, fondamenta, rii.  You can breathe the magic from this city in every corner.  Words cannot describe what only eyes seize in a glimpse and emotions strike at once, like the drifting by Marco Polo's residence on a gondola, while a man's voice sings from far.  I know, it sounds ridiculously romantic!  Romance oozes everywhere in Venice even if your just sitting out of a bar enjoying an aperitivo spritz with chips.
chipsspritzVeniceB
For those who are romantic and for those who are not, here's how to recreate a venetian aperitivo at home. Spritz, is a typical cocktail in Venice, really easy to make, you just need some prosecco, aperol, ice, an orange slice and a big green juicy olive (note: if you don't see the olive in the picture, that's because my husband and son, caught in a moment of anticipated hunger, ate them...I could have killed them!).  Next to your aperitivo you can serve olives, salted peanuts, chips.  I decided to make homemade chips, they are fast to make and much healthier than the ones you buy, plus you feel less guilty if you eat more! I hope you enjoy this drink as much as I do.  Cheers.      

Recipe - Homemade Oven Chips 

Ingredients:
Potatoes
Olive oil
salt
freshly chopped herbs (sage, parsley, chives, marjoram, your choices, I used them all).

Peeled or un-peeled, cut the potatoes in big round thin slices (I used a mandolin).  Place the potatoes in a pot with cold water and bring them to a boil.  As soon as the water starts to boil, immediately remove and drain.  In a large bowl, season the potatoes with olive oil and some chopped fresh herbs.  Cook them in a preheated oven at 200ºC for 15/20 minutes, depending on how thin you sliced them.  Remove from the oven and sprinkle with salt (I used maldon salt).

Spritz Cocktail

Ingredients:
Ice cubes (3/4 ice cubes per serving)
2/3 ounces Prosecco
1 1/2 ounces Aperol
A splash of sparkling water
Orange wedge
Green Olive

Stir, don't shake.



2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi Neja! If you have been to Venice you absolutely need to go back and if you haven't make sure you go...it's stunning!

      Delete