Monday, August 26, 2013

Sour Cherries, a Clafoutis and a Poem

SOUR CHERRIES AND E. E. CUMMINGSSour Cherries - Clafoutis COVER
Sour Cherry Tree
Sour, tiny, spotted, imperfect.  I unexpectedly found these cherries 1500 meters high up in the mountains, wild, free and left to be as they are.  Like a lady with no make-up and proud to show her well-earned wrinkles.  Natural and beautiful they grow.

Here I share a clafoutis and one of my favorite poems from one of my favorite poets.


I Will Wade Out
--E.E. Cummings
I will wade out
till my thighs are steeped in burning flowers
I will take the sun in my mouth
and leap into the ripe air
Alive
with closed eyes
to dash against darkness
in the sleeping curves of my body
Shall enter fingers of smooth mastery
with chasteness of sea-girls
Will I complete the mystery
of my flesh
I will rise
After a thousand years
lipping
flowers
And set my teeth in the silver of the moon

Sour Cherries - ClafoutisAA
 A clafoutis is a delight to ones mouth like Cummings is to ones soul.
Sour Cherries - Clafoutis
You can find this recipe on Tartine Gourmand's blog here. I've tried several clafoutis' and Beatrice's version is the best so far.   I adapted the recipe by mixing different flours like buckwheat and rice and all purpose flour.  I didn't have the biscuits she used, I just used the ones I had handy.  I didn't have the pistachios to garnish but I'm going to use them next time, I'm sure they make the difference. As you can see, this is a recipe you can easily play around with. 

10 comments:

  1. i must say reading ur posts and seeing the pictures is such a delight. did not know black cherries are traditional in clafoutis. will try the recipe soon
    http://goodeatstostyle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Megha! The delight is all mine when I read your kind comments. YES...black cherries are indeed traditional for a clafoutis but...let me tell you a sour bite of these is worth the twist in tradition. I hope you try the recipe, it's quick, easy and healthy!

      Delete
  2. A beautiful poem, lovely pictures and a delectable clafoutis! Marvelous.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing compared to your beautiful photography!

      Delete
  3. ciao Elvira, ho dato una sbirciatina veloce al tuo blog e mi piace moltissimo, le foto sono spettacolari
    a presto
    sabina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ciao Sabina, sono felice che tu sia passata da me. A presto!

      Delete
  4. So beautiful clicks, Elvira!! Love clafoutis and Bea's blog :)

    ps: thanks for visiting my space!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ehi, che foto! Degno accompagnamento ad un dolce francese che adoro di cui mi nutrirò tanto nei prossimi mesi, come cura anti-nostalgia da viaggio! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ho nostalgia io per te! Mi hai fatto venire voglia di andare in Bretagna.

      Delete