Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Parcel Wrapped Carrots

NOT A RECIPE A METHOD CARROTS_cover
Carrots have been growing abundantly in my garden lately.  I've had them in salads, soups, baked in cakes, juiced, pickled, added to stocks, roasts, frittata, oven roasted, boiled...phew! I've eaten so much of them that if what they say is true, that carrots improve your eyesight, then I should be seeing through walls by now!  

With so much abundance, my imagination goes wild exploring different ways to cook.  As much as I try to find a unique way to make things taste and look different, I always tend to go back to simple because that's how I enjoy my food best. What's there to complicate in a carrot when the taste is right there and then. The very moment you bite into it raw you've already explored the essence of its flavor.  So, today, I'd like to share with you the method I use to cook my carrots, which I find is slurpy good and I'm sure bugs bunny would agree too.  
carrots
Wash and clean the carrots, leave them whole and put them in a bowl.  Add salt and fresh herbs, i.e. parsley, chives, marjoram, sage or any other type you prefer and some extra virgin olive oil.  Mix so that all the carrots are coated and shiny.  Set down a couple of sheets of parchment paper, one on top of the other, and place the seasoned carrots in the middle, add a splash of water or white wine and a couple dollops of butter.  Wrap the carrots with the parchment paper to form something like a package.  It shouldn't be airtight, but puffy and the edges sealed so that the liquid remains inside.  Bake in the oven at 180ºC for 40/45 minutes. Simple is best!  
CARROTS3

7 comments:

  1. Ho scoperto da poco che le carote fatte in forno sono buonissime. Di solito a casa mia venivano fatte solamente lesse oppure in umido con un po' di cipolla. Visto che la cottura in forno è diventata la mia preferita proverò anche questa variante!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ma anche la tua versione "hummus" e' da provare. Un ottimo scambio culinario direi :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mia madre prepara le carote tagliate a pezzetti e condite con olio, aglio, olive nere e prezzemolo... ma io amo cambiare e uno dei motivi per cui quest'anno amo l'autunno è che posso accendere il forno quanto e quando voglio... certo, a Roma le temperature sono ancora altine ma la sera rinfresca... e le carote non sempre finiscono nelle torte, quindi... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Il forno lo adoro, rende la vita piu' facile soprattutto quando si va di fretta (e ...anche quando non si ha fretta). Vedrai come ti piacciono le carote fatte in questo modo, quasi buone come le fa tua madre ;-) Davvero easy!

      Delete
  4. Divine!! I've never thought of roasting sweet carrots in a parcel :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised you haven't...you always come up with great ideas! I'm happy it has caught your eye :)

      Delete
  5. A great idea! Those carrots must taste wonderful.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete