Monday, October 14, 2013

Roasted Lamb Leg

ROASTED LAMB ENHANCED WITH A ROSEMARY GRAPE SAUCE
lambgrapesfinal-1-3
lambgrapesfinal-1
lambgrapesfinal-1-2scritta lamb
I don't know how this recipe dawned on me, I must have saved it in the back of my head from the many magazines, books and blogs I constantly read and accumulate.  I certainly didn't invent something new, nonetheless I did put together a meal that has become one of the best roasted meats I've ever done in my entire life.  The good news is that the oven does most of the work!  To start, you need a good piece of meat and it needs to have some healthy fat on it.  For "healthy" I mean a nice white healthy looking fat.  We all know that fat, especially saturated fat, is not good for you,  but we're talking every once and a while, plus, we don't want a dry roast. We want it juicy and tender.  My philosophy is,  you either eat it right or you don't eat it at all.  For this recipe, I chose a lamb leg, but I'm sure beef, pork or chicken will probably work just as good.

Rub some salt and pepper over the meat and place it directly in a preheated oven at 220°C. As soon as it starts to brown, remove from the oven, drizzle with some olive oil and put it back in the oven, lowering the heat to 200°C.  It will cook in approximately 50 min. to 1 hour,  depending on how big the meat is.  I suggest you use a meat thermometer it takes the guesswork out of cooking.

While the roast it cooking away in the oven, prepare the rosemary grape sauce.  I used a mix of black and green grapes, that's what I had handy and, I must say, it does give a nice chromatic look to the dish, but you don't necessarily need to do the same, especially because there's no change in taste.  Use any kind of grapes, as long as they are sweet and ripe.  In a preheated wide pan, add 3 to 4 tablespoons of good extra virgin olive oil, 3 whole garlic cloves, skin on, crushed with the palm of your hand and a couple of rosemary stems. Let the garlic and rosemary sizzle to flavor the oil, for about 1 minute, add a cup and a half of halved grapes.  Make sure you deseed the grapes if you have picky eaters.  If, instead, you are like me, leave the seeds and enjoy the extra crunch.  Toss and swirl the sauce constantly so that flavors mix.  Cook for about 5 minutes.  Now add a cup of grape juice. Cook another 5 minutes and remove from the stove. 

*Make your own grape juice by simply blending grapes. Pour the liquid in a cup through a sieve or cheesecloth so that the seeds and skin remain behind. 

When the meat is done, remove from the oven, let it rest for 5 minutes.  Collect the meat's juice from the pan and add it to the sauce.  Put the sauce back on the stove and cook for a couple of minutes so that flavors blend.  Serve the meat sliced on a platter covered with the rosemary grape sauce, leave some of the sauce on the side for extra serving.

It takes more to explain the recipe than to actually cook the whole meal, but trust me, this recipe is effortless.  You must try!

4 comments:

  1. la prossima volta avvertimi che vengo a pranzo da te!!! Io adoro l'agnello e questo mi sembra FAVOLOSO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That 'healthy fat' looks really good - yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely mouthwatering! Those flavors are just fantastic.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. So mouth-watering!!! And love the gold hues and moody styling :)

    ReplyDelete