Monday, January 27, 2014

scenes from a breakfast with churned honey

breakfast
I thought I’d share how this toast sits in its plate as it renders a warm early-morning-greeting-comfort-feel…which doesn’t hurt on this cold rainy day in Rome.  Here are some scenes from a Sunday breakfast, the day I churned some honey.  Although churned (or whipped) honey remains to be honey…just plain ol’ honey with no additives, the difference lies in its state, from a crystallized harder texture to a creamy, lighter one. A change in state that has become a favorite on my breakfast table.
breakfast
I learned about churned honey a while back while reading an article on Honest Cooking, it caught my eye immediately but first I needed to figure out what the heck was meant by “crystallized” honey, since it is the main, or rather, the “only” ingredient.  The bee farmer tried to explain it in words but when he noticed my clueless facial expression, he put two jars of honey on the counter, pointing to one and then the other, “this is crystallized and this is not”… and finally it clicked… “Ohhhh so that’s what it is!” :)
breakfast
In case your running into the same frustrating confusion, here’s an easy way to figure it out:  non-crystallized honey is the syrup-fluidly type of honey, the “acacia” type; crystallized honey is the harder version, the one that’s more solid.  Once you get a hold of crystallized honey, the churning is easy.  All you need to do is put it in a food processor and whip for about 20 minutes.  I’ll leave it to honest cooking’s article to explain the procedure, click here.  

                                                                                          ***                                                   

The article will indicate a 1:1 ratio of liquid honey and crystallized honey, my only adaption was to use crystallized honey only and it turned out just as creamy.  

Breakfast Toast with Churned Honey:  lightly toast some whole wheat bread, spread some butter on top, add a generous amount of churned honey, lightly dust with some freshly grated cinnamon and sprinkle with a teaspoon of hemp seeds (or sesame …or poppy…or pumpkin seeds).  Serve with coffee, or green tea or anything else that makes you happy.
breakfastbreakfast
breakfast

4 comments:

  1. I didn't think honey could get any better and this proved me wrong. That looks so creamy and fantastic, I'm amazed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shikha! I'm not a big fan of honey but now that I've been churning it up...I love it. There's something different about it this way.

      Delete
  2. Ma dai!! Sapevo la differenza fra miele non cristallizzato e miele cristallizzato (ci sono venuta su, mia madre per merenda mi faceva pane al farro-miele-granella di nocciole. Oggi non posso fare a meno del miele di castagno:)) ma non sapevo come potesse trasformarsi! Devo assolutamente provarci... un abbraccio Elvira e buon fine settimana!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pictures! This is such a delicious breakfast treat.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete