Friday, April 11, 2014

chocolate avocado tarts with cashew and date crust

Raw Tarts with Avocado Chocolate
Raw Tarts with Avocado Chocolate
Hello!  It’s Friday and we’re all happy to hear that!  Here’s a quick recipe you absolutely need to try.  When I saw these tarts I couldn’t hold myself from making them.  They are RAW, no cooking, no baking involved.  It’s an all crude and natural dessert that I discovered on instagram through my “virtual” friend, Asima (Haute Sucre)
 
Asima is a Pastry Chef at one of the largest Canadian Pastry companies. She studied in Paris and worked for Hotel de Crillon in the two Michelin star restaurant, Les Ambassadeurs, as well as at des Gateaux et du Pain in Paris, she's now in Toronto.

I know that one day I’ll meet her in person just to try one of her macaroons!
Raw Tarts with Avocado Chocolate
Raw Tarts with Avocado Chocolate
Take a look at her instagram, she’ll tempt you for breakfast, lunch and dinner any time of the day.  Sooner or later, your eyes will not get enough of her food and out of the blue, you’ll find yourself cooking an Asima-type-of-thing, just because you saw it on her instagram...like these Chocolate Avocado Tarts with a Cashew and Date Crust.

I varied a few things from the original recipe because I wasn’t able to find the exact ingredients.  In place of the raw cashews, I used raw pistachios.  Instead of the dates, I used dry figs and I reduced the raw sugar that goes in the chocolate avocado filling.  Although the slight variation of ingredients, the tarts turned out amazing ... but that’s something I was sure of.

Here’s the original recipe from Asima’s facebook.  You'll find my variations in brackets.

All you need to do now is make them.

A presto!
Raw Tarts with Avocado Chocolate
Chocolate Avocado Tarts with a Cashew and Date Crust (RAW)

4-6 small tart shells (with removable bottoms) or 1 - 8" springform pan
(Line the bottoms with parchment for easy removal)

tart base:

1 cup raw cashews (or raw pistachios)
5-6 medjool dates, pitted OR 8-10 small dates (or dry figs)
2 tsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
Pinch of fleur de sel or Maldon sea salt

Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse.
Spoon nut mixture into tart bases evenly and level with back of a spoon.
Put the tart shells in the freezer to set whilst preparing the filling.

filling:

1 ripe avocado
1/3 cup dark cocoa
1/2 cup raw sugar (I personally reduced the sugar to a little less than ½ cup)
1/4 tsp fleur de sel or Maldon sea salt
5 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract or the seeds of 1/2 vanilla bean

Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until smooth.
Transfer to a piping bag with a decorative tip and fill the tarts or spoon into the tart shells and level off the tops. Put them back in the freezer until ready to serve.

*remove the tarts from the freezer 5-10 min before serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment