Monday, September 7, 2015

a souvenir from the south

MELANZANE RIPIENE
BQ8A1503
There's no relationship between that lady up there and I, but there is a sort of connection.  That gaze into nothingness and her relaxing posture was the same as mine when I looked up and noticed from the piazza beneath, that someone was resembling my mood.  The mood that beautifully, and perhaps unwillingly, insinuates in you like only the south knows how.  Unable to capture my own state of mind,  I captured hers, to show you, what would otherwise be underestimated if said in words.

The first time I went to Puglia was for a summer vacation with my family a few years ago.  Last year we went again and this year too. We always drive to go down and while our GPS tells us to go one way, we eventually detour the other.  Off the beaten path, the surroundings were immersed in our eyes as we drove through hectares and hectares of century old olive trees neatly arranged on fields of fresh ploughed red earth.  All at once the sight of the sea, and everything that comes with it, appears on the horizon and as we get closer and closer we're left speechless each time, we knew what to expect but there's no getting used to it.

Narrow streets, steep stairs, laundry blown dry by the gentle warm breeze, a lady who arranges fresh mint just off the doorsteps of her home, secret gardens within courtyards, poems written on stairs and views ... infinite views of the sea and its waves splashing against rocks; and the open calm deep blue that lures you to walk on water.  Fumes, scents, aromas of food that roam through windows and run across alleys are torture to our hungry stomachs.  The clock says 8:00 pm and while others are ready for an apertivo, we're ready to sit down to eat in one of those restaurants a friend told us about. Although I would have much more preferred to knock on that lady's door up there and invite myself to dinner ... something tells me she's a good cook.
BQ8A1483
BQ8A1504
Every time I come back from Puglia I try to recreate the food I had when I was there,  in a way it extends that southern mood a little longer and helps soften the nostalgia.  I had these melanzane ripiene (stuffed aubergines) in a restaurant in Monopoli. They served authentic home cuisine, no fancy frills, just fresh, genuine food, the big family reunion kind, the kind that makes you lick your fingers and clean the plate with a piece of bread. So instead of buying myself a magnet to stick on the fridge or a tea towel with Puglia's map stamped on it, I brought back moments I impressed in my mind, some I clicked with my camera and a culinary taste of the south I experienced and enjoyed right then and there.  I also brought back the paper napkin I used to scribble down the ingredients I was given by the owner, the same napkin I used to wipe my mouth while I was eating those delicious aubergines.  Consider it a souvenir from the south from me to you.
BQ8A1627-2BQ8A1624-2
BQ8A1474
Passer-by, sin beyond any sin 
Is the sin of blindness of souls to other souls.
And joy beyond any joy is the joy
Of having the good in you seen, and seeing the good
At the miraculous moment!
[Edgar Lee Masters]

Melanzane Ripiene - Stuffed Aubergines

Ingredients
serves 4 

2 long shaped aubergines
4 slices of fresh bread, 1 inch wide.  A day old.
5 steep tbsp grated parmesan
1 egg
3 tbsp capers
lemon juice
salt
pepper
parsley
1 tsp vinegar
tomato sauce
Extra virgin olive oil (evoo)

Wash and dry the aubergines.  Slice each in half, lengthwise. Scoop the inner flesh with a spoon and reserve on the side. Brush the aubergines with lemon juice so that they don't darken.  In a preheated pan, add 2 tbsp of evoo and fry the aubergine flesh you reserved previously until golden brown, season with a small amount of salt.  Leave it aside to cool down.  Meanwhile, place the slices of bread in a food processor and pulse until breadcrumbs form, add the parsley, capers, parmesan, vinegar, salt and pepper.  Add the egg and mix until it is completely absorbed within the mixture. Now add the aubergine flesh you previously stir fried. Mix thoroughly. Fill the aubergines with the mixture.  

In a previously heated pan, add enough evoo to fry the aubergines.  Place the aubergine open side down and fry until golden brown, flip the aubergine and fry on the the other side.  It takes approx 1 minute on each side.  Do the same with each filled aubergine.  

Place some tomato sauce in a baking pan and place the aubergines in the pan.  The sauce must not cover the aubergines but should be enough to fairly reach the sides.  Bake in a preheated oven at 180°C for 40 minutes.  Remove the pan from the oven, serve warm, not hot.  Dust with some extra parmesan cheese.
BQ8A1468-2  Senza titolo

7 comments:

  1. I adore this post. So full of life! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elvira, you write so beautifully, I feel I was transported to Puglia and saw it through your eyes. The photography is stunning. How do they get that laundry so white? beautiful. I also love the recipe, I can taste it already. Going out to pick up eggplants, I have the remaining ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dina, I've asked myself the same question about the laundry. Not only were they as white as pure snow but they smelled so good and the slight breeze filled the air with its delicate perfume. I have it impressed in my mind still today. Thank you for your lovely comment.

      Delete
    2. Dina, I've asked myself that same question about the laundry. Not only was it white as snow but it smelled lovely. The slight breeze spread the delicate perfume in the air, it felt good walking by. Thank you for your lovely comment.

      Delete
  3. Ricordo come se fossi oggi la prima volta che sono stata a Polignano e che vidi quella scala... camminavo in quel paesino come "stordita", ogni scorcio, ogni angolo, ogni casa bianca emanava una tale forza... è bellissimo aver rivissuto anche solo per un attimo quella sensazione, il potere delle foto! Quindi grazie, perchè ora mi sogno sia le melanzane, sia un altro viaggio verso Sud! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cara, solo chi ha vissuto il sud sa cosa voglio dire. Anche se solo in vacanza l'ho vissuta piu' che potevo ed e' il posto dove ritorno sempre molto volentieri scoprendo sempre qualcosa di meravigliosamente diverso. Grazie a te e sempre un piacere leggerti. <3

      Delete